Dyed yarn keeps bleeding when I wash it

Dyed yarn keeps bleeding when I wash it

So, someone commissioned me this kids character and I needed red yarn which I didn't have. I accepted the commission because I have red dye so why not? It saves me a trip to the store and I only needed a small amount.

Okay, so I dye the yarn from white to red (mercerised cotton thread), normaly I use small amounts of fabric dyes to get pastel or light colors and this is the first time I wanted a vibrant color. I only left the yarn in the dye for a 5-10 minutes and then I removed it, rinsed and washed it, let it air dry and finished the project. I proceed to wash it and realized that it bled a little into the other colors, I wash it again and the stains don't go way and it keeps bleeding. Now I'm getting really frustrated.

I though, I did something wrong, I should have left the yarn to dye for the whole 30-40 minutes as per the instructions. I decide to take it all apart and unravel the red yarn and dye it again leaving it for 40 minutes in the hot dye. I rinse, wash and dry and crochet a few stitches and another row with white yarn on top of it. I wash it again to see if it bleeds, guess effing what? It does.

I forgot to add, after dying, whenever I added any kind of detergent directly, the yarn would react and turn dark, almost black, same happened with a water and vinegar solution, it took a lot of rinses to get rid of it.

I'm just so frustrated, I don't know if I would try to dye a new batch of yarn or just give up and take a trip to the store, which it what I'm trying to avoid as I don't have a car, taking the bus is risky and even thought it's a short trip, it's too effing hot to walk, and I don't even know if it's going to be open as they've been closing because of the coronavirus.

Do you guys think the old batch failed because the I ruined it the first time and I should try again with a new batch of yarn? Please help!

submitted by /u/styza_
[link] [comments]

from newest submissions : crochet https://ift.tt/3fu1xt6
via IFTTT
Load comments