Can't get the yarn I need - can I substitute a different weight?

Can't get the yarn I need - can I substitute a different weight?

I am absolute beginner - started about a week ago. I've embarked on my first project which is a small honeycomb style blanket made of hexagons.

The problem is I have used up the yarn I have and am only about 1/3 of the way done in the project. Apparently the yarn I bought isnt too common where I am (Australia) - it is a 10ply/medium weight/aran yarn. The place where I bought the yarn is out of stock in my area, their warehouse is out of stock, and they did not know if or when that yarn would be avaliable again. I'm not finding anywhere online that I can purchase a comparable yarn without it taking weeks to arrive and costing a fortune in shipping.

My question is can I use an 8ply or 12 ply yarn (1 size up or down from my current yarn) to make more hexagons that will be compatible with the ones I already have? I used a 4.5mm hook with 10ply yarn. If I used a 4mm hook with 12 ply or a 5mm hook with 8ply, would that make hexagons similar in size to the ones I have?

Is there anything I can do or should I just start over with a more easily accessible type of yarn?

submitted by /u/saphieten
[link] [comments]

from newest submissions : crochet https://ift.tt/3pxloNK
via IFTTT
Load comments