Closer and closer

Closer and closer

As the title says, I am closer towards my goal of actually starting (and then hopefully finishing) my first amigurumi project - Hedwig.

I finally cracked the magic ring today - still not as polished as I'd hoped but functional, and as a raw beginner that's what I was aiming for to begin with. I think I'll wait to tighten the ring until I've done round two, as I somehow lose the stitch definition if I tighten it immediately, which makes the second round difficult as far as hook placement goes.

I was looking at the pattern and mentally translating it before I write each step down, and suddenly thought of something. As a British product, it seems reasonable to assume the pattern would be written with the British crochet terms, yes? Which means that every time they say double crochet, or dc, in American terminology which is what I've been learning with, it would be single crochet or sc. I'm presuming that increases and decreases, along with slip stitches and chains would remain the same. Looking closer at the pictures on the box of the finished owl and comparing my practice swatches, it looks like single crochet to me. Something to.keep in mind when I write the steps down.

As for why I'm writing out the pattern, I found when knitting that it is easier for me to follow along if each step is written out and can be crossed off once done. It also means that I never lose my place, and is helpfuk when teaching myself how to read my knitting because I can count the rows, and then compare to my pattern to see if I've counted right.

Now on to my final step.before beginning - learning how to use scrap yarn for a stitch marker. I've seen one video but am not quite sure which part of the first stitch to place it in. On to.more videos and more learning.

By the way - where did the term "hookers" come from to describe crocheters? My husband just about died laughing when I told him that.

submitted by /u/Fluffbrained-cat
[link] [comments]

from newest submissions : crochet https://ift.tt/3B8Rl3Z
via IFTTT
Load comments