Laundry list of questions!! Any suggestions help!!

Laundry list of questions!! Any suggestions help!!

Hi! I was always intrigued by friends who had dolls and stuffed animals that were HAND MADE by parents, relatives, and older sisters and I never knew what or how they made them. I found out that they were amigurumi crochet dolls. I got a whole bag of yarn from different brands from my grandmother (I'm not sure where most of them are from... But one of them is from Red Heart and another is from Lion Brand), colors, thicknesses, and textures. My friend gave me a size 5mm crochet hook and I have 1 small packaging of stuffing. I followed this tutorial and ended up making 3 small whales!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYIfrnJB5i8

TLDR: I am still very much a beginner and had some questions about crochet that I appreciate any and all feedback :)

1.) Hook sizes/brands: The one my friend gave me was from a dollar store and I wanted to buy more in different sizes. Is there a brand that most people prefer? I live by a Michael's, Joann's, and Walmart in the US. As for the different sizes, is there a way to know which size to use for which thickness/texture of yarn? Again, a lot of the balls of yarn I have don't have the labels :(

2.) Yarn brands: Is there a brand that people prefer to make stuffed crochet animals? I don't plan on selling these, I just wanted to make some for myself and possibly gift them to young children in my family/work/life. I'm just starting off so I don't want to invest in very high quality and expensive yarn just yet.

3.) Stuffing: Is there a brand/seller of stuffing that you would recommend? I don't know how much these things are supposed to cost or where I can get them. Is there also a difference in texture of the stuffing that makes some stuffed animals feel "stiffer" and others more "soft and cuddlier?"

4.) Project ideas: The 3 whales I made (from the video above) can sit on the palm of my hand and I really like projects that are small and quick. Could you please give recommendations of project ideas or free patterns? I really like video tutorials over photos or written, but I am also working on a medium-sized stegosaurus from written instructions. (this is the stegosaurus: https://stringydingding.com/dinosaur-amigurumi-free-crochet-pattern/ )

5.) String tension: On the projects I completed so far, I notice that some of the stitches look different from the model.... Could this be because I'm not using the correct sized hook/yarn? Or could it be because I need (a lot) more work on technique?

Thank you to everyone who was patient enough to read through this! I am very new and very eager to learn how to crochet :)

submitted by /u/17parm01
[link] [comments]

from newest submissions : crochet https://ift.tt/2ZnRmBs
via IFTTT
Load comments