When does someone else's pattern become your own? How much change is needed for the pattern to be just an inspiration?

When does someone else's pattern become your own? How much change is needed for the pattern to be just an inspiration?

I was having this discussion with my husband recently. I am making a poncho for my mother-in-law, the kind with the slits for arms in the front. But she wants a specific motif, not just a plain poncho. Now, I've made her things with this motif before, but they were worked from the bottom up, and there are numerous tutorials on how to do this motif in various fashions and uses, but I could not find anything that had it built top down, nor used in a poncho.

Except for one pattern.

For a non-wearable decoration.

So, I purchased the pattern and used it to create my poncho. I had to change how it began, changing the number of stitches and removing entire rows so it worked as a poncho. I also completely eliminated at least half of the pattern, really only using the single motif how I wanted to use it, along with the pattern's first transition to be able to repeat it as I saw fit.

A friend suggested I use this in a local contest, which is where the discussion came from, because obviously one of the rules is it needs to be original (but the only explanation is that it can't have been published anywhere previously, which technically it hasn't). How much of this would you consider my work, and how much is the purchased pattern? .

Because 90% of "original" work is inspired by countless other artists (not just in the crochet community), I ask you:

How much of a pattern needs to change for the new pattern to be considered original?

submitted by /u/Sugarbean29
[link] [comments]

from newest submissions : crochet https://ift.tt/3jCF53J
via IFTTT
Load comments